As those living in colder climates know, certain food and drinks are perfect for balancing the chill of winter with warm, savory flavors. Tomato soup, is one of my favorites- with or without a grilled cheese. And when you have a high-quality, fresh-tasting tomato sauce to work with, homemade tomato soup is easier than you thought!
Here are some quick and easy tomato soup recipes to get you started:
Spicy Tomato Bisque
While not a true bisque (a French soup traditionally made with seafood and cognac or wine), this tomato basil soup made with cream and a chili kick is just as savory, if not more.
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- 2 to 4 Tbsp Vervana Jalapeño Garlic Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 to 2 Tbsp Vervana Italian Seasoning & Dipping Blend
- 2 jars Vervana Organic Marinara Sauce (or 1 jar each of Vervana Organic Arrabbiata and Marinara Sauces for an added spicy kick!)
- 2 cups vegetable or organic chicken broth
- 1/2 cup organic cream or half and half
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Vervana Salt and Pepper Blends, to taste
- Drizzle 2 Tbsp Jalapeño Garlic Olive Oil into a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and cook until they become translucent.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning & Dipping Blend, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add both jars of organic marinara and two cups of broth.
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes
- Turn off the heat, and add half and half and Parmesan cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Finish with fresh basil and an additional drizzle of Jalapeño Garlic Olive Oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
Vegan version: substitute half and half with vegan cream or puree in blender with 1 cup of white beans. Omit Parmesan or substitute with vegan Parmesan.
Super-Easy Tomato Basil Soup
Having had the pleasure of making fresh, marinara sauce for my family over the past 4 decades, I’ve learned that some people like tomato sauce and some don’t (usually kids). Other people just want the sauce, sans pasta. My daughter, for example, always preferred a bowl of fresh, marinara sauce which she could dip fresh baked Italian bread in. She’d eat it like “soup.” So marinara soup was born in our family – a thicker, heartier spin on traditional tomato soup that is as easy as opening a jar and heating it up.
This tomato soup recipe gets its fresh basil flavor from Basil Flavored Olive Oil – a terrific winter staple when fresh basil may not be available. If you have fresh basil, you can substitute the Basil Olive Oil with Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil when serving and add the 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil to each bowl of tomato soup. You can also add or substitute either olive oil with Rosemary Flavored Olive Oil for added herbal flavor and aroma.
*For vegan tomato basil soup, simply skip the grated Parmesan cheese.
Prep time: 0- 1 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 2 Tbsp Basil Flavored Olive Oil or EVOO
- 1-2 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 24 oz jar of Vervana Organic Marinara Sauce
- Salt & Pepper Blends, to taste
- ½ to 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning & Dipping Blend
- Optional: ⅓ cup fresh, grated Parmesan cheese
Combine the organic marinara and broth in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and add Italian Seasoning & Dipping Blend, to taste. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes, then ladle into individual bowls. Drizzle each bowl with Basil Flavored Olive Oil, and freshly grind Salt and Pepper Blends, to taste. Sprinkle with optional Parmesan cheese, if using. Yes, it’s that easy – Mangiare!
Want More Tomato Basil Recipes?
From my heart to yours,
P.S. Don’t miss a beat on delectably healthy eating – sign up to receive Vervana emails and get healthy recipes and exclusive offers delivered to your Inbox – including 10% off your first order!
© Vervana, LLC. All rights reserved.