With new Spring greenery shooting up everywhere, I’ve been inspired to make meals with fresh herbaceous aromas and flavors. Here are some Spring recipes for you to enjoy…
Minty Melon with Basil Salad
A refreshing twist on classic fruit salad, this simple, verdant medley is made with honeydew melon, fresh mint, and crushed basil olive oil it – perfect as a Spring snack, side or dessert! You’ll need:
- 1/2 or whole honeydew melon, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2-4 tsp fresh mint, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 to 3 Tbsp Crushed Basil Olive Oil
- Natural Salt Blend, to taste
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
Slice the honeydew melon, and place in a large bowl or directly on serving plates. Sprinkle with chopped mint and fresh lime juice, then drizzle with Crushed Basil Olive Oil. Finish with a few grinds of Natural Salt Blend, then gently toss the salad in the bowl or on each plate. Serve with a sprig or few of fresh mint.
Blissful Basil Chicken Salad
Chicken salad often has the unfortunate fate of being drowned in unhealthy mayo that is loaded with unhealthy fats like GMO soybean oil or highly-processed canola oil. As a serious fan of olive oil, I prefer this mayo-free version made with cold-pressed basil olive oil. Adjust veggie portions to your liking. Enjoy!
- 2 organic chicken breasts (approx 1 1b.), baked or poached
- 1/2 to 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 to 6 ribs of celery chopped
- 1/2 cup Vervana Crushed Basil Olive Oil (Crushed Rosemary Olive Oil also works well in this recipe)
- Optional: 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground Vervana Natural Salt and Pepper Blends, to taste
- 3 to 8 cups mixed organic greens
Slice cooked chicken into thin slices or small cubes and mix in a bowl with the chopped red onion and celery. Combine the Basil Olive Oil, optional balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper blends in a bowl or jar (mix by shaking), then drizzle half the dressing over the chicken and veggies and mix well. Serve over a bed of fresh greens; if a larger portion, add additional dressing. Serves 3 to 4.
Heavenly Heirloom Salad
Heirloom tomatoes are juicy, rich and earthy, and come in a variety of unique shapes and colors that you won’t find in conventionally grown varieties. Best of all, they make a really colorful and attractive salad. Farmer’s markets are great places to find these flavorful tomatoes. Next time you come across them, try this fresh, spring and summer recipe:
- 4 to 6 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup Vervana Cold-Pressed Basil or Rosemary Olive Oil
- 1/2 medium-sized sweet onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 3 oz of fresh mozzarella sliced (optional)
- Freshly ground Vervana Natural Salt and Pepper blends, to taste
Slice the tomatoes and pile into a wide bowl or deep plate (layer in the cheese if you’re including). Sprinkle the optional sweet onion on top then drizzle with the rosemary or basil oil. Sprinkle on balsamic vinegar, if using (alternately, combine the olive oil and vinegar in a small jar, shake to emulsify, then drizzle on the tomato salad). Add a few grinds of salt and pepper blends to taste. Serves 2 to 3.
Photo credit: Eugene Bochkarev @123rf
Using flavored olive oils is a super simple way to infuse big, bold flavor into your favorite recipes. I like to drizzle the oil on as a finishing touch, as opposed to cooking with it (as with all fats, it can oxidize at high temperatures).
Here are some other delicious recipes with Rosemary and Basil flavored olive oils for you to enjoy:
© 2018, 2019, 2020 Vervana. All rights reserved.