Made with high-quality, delicious ingredients, this eggplant Parmesan recipe is satisfying, comforting and much healthier than traditional eggplant Parm recipes – Enjoy!
Healthy Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
*use organic ingredients whenever possible
- 2 eggplants sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups bread crumbs (Panko, Italian style, gluten-free or homemade. For grain-free, you can use 1/2 c. of almond or coconut flour with a little salt and pepper mixed with 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning & Dipping Blend.)
- 1 jar Vervana Organic Marinara Sauce
- 2 bell peppers (any color) sliced
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning & Dipping Blend
- 1 to 4 tbs Vervana Organic EVOO (or cold-pressed Basil, or Garlic olive oils)
- 10 oz organic mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
- Optional: Handful of chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1 bag of organic red lentil or chickpea pasta, prepared according to directions
- Savory Salt and Pepper & Juniper Blends
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Wash and slice the eggplant. Grind sea salt onto both sides of each eggplant slice, and lay the slices on a plate to reduce moisture. Let eggplant sit for 30-60 minutes, then blot each slice with a paper towel to absorb the excess moisture. Dip each slice into the eggs, then into the bread crumbs (or flour mixture) and place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake each side for 8 to 15 minutes until crispy. While the eggplant is baking, warm the olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the sliced peppers and the Italian Seasoning & Dipping Blend and sauté until soft. Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of an 9×13 baking dish followed by a layer of eggplant, then peppers, more sauce, and evenly spread some of the mozzarella out over the top of the layer. Repeat until all the eggplant and cheese is used. Bake for 40-60 minutes until bubbly and browned on top. Place 1/4 of the prepared pasta onto a serving plate or in a bowl and top with a spoonful of marinara sauce or a drizzle of cold-pressed olive oil if desired. Top with a serving of eggplant Parmesan and finish with a drizzle of extra virgin or flavored olive oil. Add fresh, chopped herbs, if you like.
Tips for making healthy eggplant Parmesan:
- Bake the eggplant, don’t fry it at high temps;
- Use organic mozzarella cheese, and in moderation;
- Include extra organic veggies for added fiber and nutrients;
- Use a vibrant, organic marinara with no added sugars and not too much salt (like my Vervana Organic Marinara, which is sweetened only with carrots and is lower in sodium than many store-bought varieties)
- Serve it over organic, high-protein red lentil or chickpea pasta instead of traditional white pasta – this means more nutrients, lots of protein and fiber to promote a healthier blood sugar response, and none of the pesticide residues found in regular white pasta.
Not in the mood for a vegetarian meal? Get our Chicken Parmesan Recipe here.
And if you like meat, you’ll love this healthy meatballs recipe.
From my heart to yours,
P.S. Don’t miss a beat on delectably healthy eating – sign up to receive Vervana emails and get healthy recipes and exclusive offers delivered to your Inbox – including 10% off your first order!
© Vervana, LLC. All rights reserved.