This immune-boosting spicy chicken soup helps you eliminate sinus and lung congestion, and tastes great, especially if you enjoy hot-n-spicy foods!
- 1 whole organic chicken or chicken parts (with bones)
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped
- 3-6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 to 6 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 to 3 Tbsp of Olive oil or flavored olive oil + 2 to 4 Tbsp for drizzling
- Natural salt blend and whole pepper blend, to taste
- Optional: 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Optional: 1 to 3 teaspoons of ginger root, peeled and minced
- Optional: 1-2 bell peppers, chopped
- Optional: 1 zucchini, chopped
- Optional: 2 to 4 cups of fresh spinach
- Optional: 1-2 Tbsp Tuscan Spice Blend
- Optional: fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
In a soup or large sauce pan, sauté chopped onion and a few tablespoons of olive oil on low-ish heat until translucent. For added flavor, try using organo, basil, garlic, or jalapeño olive oil! Add chopped carrots and celery, and optional garlic, until partially cooked. Add a small organic chicken or chicken parts, and at least enough filtered water to cover the chicken. Bring this mixture to a boil, then simmer on low-ish heat for about 45 minutes, Take the chicken out and let it cool, then remove the bones and skin, and return the meat back to the soup. Add any beans or fresh vegetables like sliced green peppers or zucchini, as well as sliced hot peppers, garlic, and/or ginger and continue simmering for 20 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Top with chopped fresh herbs, like parsley or cilantro and a drizzle of Jalapeño-Garlic flavored olive oil for a touch more heat! And if you like it really hot and spicy, go bold with a drizzle of my habanero flavored olive oil.
Try experimenting with modest amounts of seasonings and spicy or pungent ingredients, then add more to taste. The hotter the soup is with volatile ingredients, the better it is as a cold and flu-buster.
Watch me make a quick and easy version of this soup in the video below!
© 2013, 2018 Dr. Sinatra. All rights reserved.