Full of bold flavors, this salad is a great way to incorporate artichokes into a main meal. Not only will it hopefully delight your palate, but it can also help you stay healthy. How? Artichoke hearts help promote detoxification by supporting liver function. Onions contain compounds that support heart health. Red bell peppers are full of beta-carotene, an important antioxidant for vision and eye health as well as immune system function; be sure to go organic with bell peppers, though, as they tend to be the highest in pesticides (if you use tomatoes instead, you’ll get lycopene, a powerful antioxidant). The monounsaturated fat in olive oil will help your body absorb beta-carotene (and lycopene). For a main-dish salad, try adding cooked, chilled and flaked wild Alaskan salmon (canned is okay) or organic chicken breasts, cooked, chilled and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 2 cans or jars of artichoke hearts in water, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 medium-size red bell peppers, diced; or 2 to 4 tomatoes, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 ½ Tbsp chopped red onion
- 1 ½ Tbsp EVOO or cold-pressed oregano flavored olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp organic feta cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt Blend and Pepper Blend, to taste
Slice artichoke hearts into halves or quarters and place into large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and combine well. Serves 4.
© 2017, 2018, 2019 Vervana. All rights reserved.