Never underestimate the power of a healthy chili recipe to nourish and satisfy your hungriest fans…Although my favorite time to make chili is in the fall or winter, when I have friends and family over to watch football, I love to make chili all year round. It’s full of the protein I crave, and is also balanced with lots of nutrient-and fiber-rich veggies. To boot, it’s super quick and easy to make (and reheat), and I use only the healthiest ingredients. In a nutshell, healthy chili is comfort food I feel good about eating and feeding to loved ones.
Besides healthy ingredients, what really makes for a killer chili recipe? The right spices…which is why I created my Vervana Mexican spice blend – a super-convenient go-to mix of savory and spicy Mexican seasonings (free sample size now available!).
- Veggies and beans – when in doubt, always go more, not less, and opt for organic, when possible, especially with peppers.
- Definitely go organic or grass-fed with the meat.
- Go easy on the seasonings at first, and continually taste and add until the flavor evolves to a “now, that’s what I’m talking about!” place.
- Let your gut and passion guide you.
And Now for a Delicious AND Healthy Chili Recipe…
I hope you think my healthy chili recipe is a tasty, high vibrational touchdown too:
- 2 to 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 chopped onions
- 1-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4-8 celery stalks, chopped
- 1-3 organic green or red bell peppers, chopped
- Optional 2-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- Optional fresh ginger, peeled and grated or finely chopped, to taste
- 1 lb organic or grass-fed ground beef or buffalo
- 25 to 32 oz (1 large or 2 small cans) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes (from a box or can)
- 3 cups strained tomatoes (from a box or can)
- 1 tsp honey (to cut the acidity of the tomatoes)
- Vervana Salt Blend
- Vervana Pepper & Juniper Blend
- Vervana Mexican Seasoning Blend
- Optional finish: grated organic Jack or cheddar cheese
- Optional finish (my favorite!): a generous drizzle of a chili flavored olive oil
In a large saucepan over low-medium heat, cook the onions, celery and pepper – garlic and carrots too, if you want – for several minutes until the veggies soften beyond al dente. Remove veggies from the pot. Now it’s time to cook the ground beef until brown. Add freshly ground Vervana Salt and Pepper and Juniper blends to the meat, to taste. Rub a generous pinch or few of the Mexican Seasoning Blend between your fingers to release the flavor then add to the meat. Stir all the cooked veggies back in, then blend in the beans and tomatoes. Add a little honey if you wish, to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Is your chili crying out for more flavor? Go another round with the Mexican spices and pepper. Allow chili to simmer at least 10 minutes, then serve your fans.
My favorite finish on each bowl is a generous drizzle of cold-pressed jalapeño or jalapeño-garlic olive oil (or a few drops of blazing habanero olive oil when I want some serious heat). Cheese lovers may want to garnish their bowls with grated cheddar or Jack cheese. Serves 4 – 6.
If you’re looking for a delicious, healthy chili recipe that’s vegetarian or vegan, try this one!
From my heart to yours,
© 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 Vervana. All rights reserved.